Thursday, April 30, 2009

What is an advocate anyway?

Today a parent that our group is advocating for was asked by an administrator why she needed an advocate. At first I was irritated that this principal with unlimited financial resources at taxpayer expense could ask such a demeaning question. Then I started thinking that it is probable that perhaps educators have no idea the stress that parents have when walking into a room of 4-10 or more professionals, how it feels to be told information about your child and not have your voice heard, or perhaps afraid to voice concern due to fears that they might say the wrong thing. It is incredibly scary knowing that your child needs help and being told that if he would just wear his glasses or , pay attention more, or try a little harder. Often time’s parents are told these things and know in their hearts that it is incorrect, that it is something else, someone or something else is to blame. That’s where an advocate’s services comes in handy.
Advocacy means supporting a person with a disability, learning disability or other type of disorder by helping him/her get the supports and services he needs from a school district, medical provider, therapy provider, college or vocational school, or other service agency.
An advocate can help by asking questions, taking notes, helping to formulate a plan, assist with obtaining services or doing as I so often do-listening and being supportive. Just knowing that someone else understands is an amazing fear buster.
I often wonder what my purpose in the life is. I feel strongly that God brought me down this bumpy road for a reason and that if I need to help others get down the road, then that’s my passion. All children have special needs. Some need a little more, a little different, something unique. That’s my job as an advocate making sure that they get what they need and deserve to be productive and independent citizens. As long as there is one child that I can make a difference with, then that’s what I am charged with doing-advocating on their behalf.

No comments: